July started the beginning of the fiscal year at NSPA and it's been nothing short of busy right out of the gate. Here is a brief update on what the Coalition has been up to:
- Saturday, July 13th: Mental Health First Aid (MHFA)
- A course requested by the City of Martinsville Fire & EMS was hosted at New College Institute for First Responders. A day-long interactive training engaged individuals on topics of culture, risk factors, available resources and more.
- Monday, July 15th: Basic Disaster Life Support (BDLS)
- A course filled with Medical Students who learned in a classroom setting about prevention, detection, and response to disaster scenarios.
- Tuesday, July 16th & Wednesday, July 17th: Advanced Disaster Life Support (ADLS)
- Following BDLS, students took their classroom skills and applied them in a two-day intensive hands-on training to exercise their skills.
- Thursday, July 17th: Pandemic Tabletop Exercise
- In partnership with the Virginia Department of Health (VDH), NSPA hosted the "Cardinal Resolve" Pandemic Tabletop Exercise. A scenario was given and stakeholders from across the region played out their coordination and response efforts. The event was attended by 150 individuals from a variety of healthcare disciplines.